Protect your future – fight back against your Houston DWI charge with our experienced attorney.
Are you facing accusations of causing a DWI accident in Houston? It’s a serious matter that requires the help of an experienced Houston DWI attorney. A DWI accident can lead to severe consequences, including loss of your driving privileges, costly fines, and even jail time. It’s important to understand that the legal system can be complex and confusing, and the consequences of a DWI conviction can be life-altering. This is why you need the help of a knowledgeable criminal defense attorney who can guide you through the process and work to protect your rights.
At Leeds Law Firm, we understand how difficult it can be to face these charges. Our team of dedicated Houston DWI attorneys has the experience and knowledge to help you navigate the legal system and fight for your rights. We believe that everyone deserves a strong defense, and we work tirelessly to ensure that our clients receive the best possible outcome for their cases.
Don’t wait to seek legal help if you’re facing DWI accusations in Houston. Contact Leeds Law Firm today to schedule a consultation with our experienced attorneys. We’ll work with you to understand the specifics of your case and develop a strong defense strategy that’s tailored to your unique situation. With our help, you can protect your rights and fight for a better future.
What is a DWI Accident?
A DWI accident is a type of car accident that occurs when a driver is operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. DWI stands for “Driving While Intoxicated,” and it’s a serious offense that can result in significant legal consequences. In the case of a DWI accident, the driver who is intoxicated causes or contributes to the accident, often resulting in injuries, property damage, and even fatalities.
DWI accidents are considered to be especially serious because they involve not only the reckless behavior of the driver but also put innocent people at risk. The consequences of a DWI accident can be severe, both legally and emotionally. The driver may face criminal charges, including fines, license suspension, and even imprisonment. Additionally, the injured parties or their families may also file a civil lawsuit against the driver for damages, which can result in significant financial liability.
If you have been involved in a DWI accident in Houston, it’s crucial to seek the help of an experienced Houston DWI attorney as soon as possible. They can help you understand your rights and legal options and work to protect your interests throughout the legal process.
What are the Consequences of a DWI?
The consequences of a DWI conviction can be severe and life-altering. Here are some of the possible legal and personal consequences that a person may face after a DWI conviction:
In Texas, the legal consequences for a DWI conviction vary depending on the number of offenses and other factors, such as the presence of a child passenger or an accident causing injury or death. Here’s a breakdown of the possible consequences for each offense:
- Up to a $2,000 fine.
- Up to 180 days in jail upon conviction, with three mandatory days.
- Loss of driver’s license for up to a year.
- Up to a $4,000 fine.
- One month to a year in jail upon conviction.
- Loss of driver’s license for up to two years.
- A $10,000 fine.
- Two to 10 years in prison.
- Loss of driver’s license for up to two years.
It’s important to note that these fines do not include a state fine of $3,000, $4,500, or $6,000 assessed upon sentencing. Additionally, impaired driving with a child passenger carries even more severe penalties in Texas. You can be charged with child endangerment if you’re driving impaired with children under 15, and you will face additional fines of up to $10,000, up to two years in jail, and lose your driver’s license for another 180 days.
In addition to the legal consequences, a DWI conviction can have significant personal consequences. Here are some of the personal consequences that a person may face after a DWI conviction:
- Difficulty finding employment: A DWI conviction can make it challenging to find employment, particularly in fields that require a clean driving record, such as commercial driving, transportation, or public safety.
- Negative impact on personal relationships: A DWI conviction can cause strain on personal relationships, including with family, friends, and romantic partners. It can also lead to feelings of shame, guilt, and social isolation.
- Loss of reputation or social standing: A DWI conviction can damage a person’s reputation and social standing within their community, particularly if the offense is widely publicized.
- Psychological and emotional trauma: A DWI conviction can cause psychological and emotional trauma, including depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This trauma could be particularly acute if the offense resulted in injury or death to another person.
These personal consequences can be long-lasting and have a significant impact on a person’s life. If you’re facing DWI charges in Houston, it’s essential to seek the help of an experienced Houston DWI attorney who can provide guidance and support throughout the legal process.
What are the Common Defenses of a DWI Accusation in Texas?
There are several possible defenses to a DWI charge that an experienced Houston DWI attorney may explore, depending on the specific circumstances of the case. Here are some of the most common defenses:
Lack of probable cause:
A police officer must have probable cause to pull a driver over or make an arrest. If there was no valid reason for the stop or arrest, any evidence gathered afterward might be inadmissible in court.
Faulty field sobriety tests:
Field sobriety tests, such as the horizontal gaze nystagmus (HGN) test or the walk-and-turn test, are commonly used to establish probable cause for a DWI arrest. However, these tests can be unreliable and inaccurate due to a variety of factors, such as physical disabilities, nervousness, or environmental conditions.
Inaccurate breathalyzer results:
Breathalyzer tests are frequently used to measure a driver’s blood alcohol content (BAC) level. However, the accuracy of these tests can be affected by a variety of factors, such as device malfunctions, improper calibration, or operator error.
Medical conditions or prescription drug use:
Certain medical conditions or prescription medications can cause symptoms similar to those of alcohol impairment. If a driver’s impairment was due to a medical condition or medication rather than alcohol consumption, it might be possible to use this as a defense.
Illegal search and seizure:
If a police officer violated a driver’s Fourth Amendment rights by conducting an illegal search or seizure, any evidence gathered as a result of the violation might be inadmissible in court.
These are just a few of the possible defenses that an experienced Houston DWI attorney may use to fight DWI charges. The specific strategy used will depend on the facts of the case and the circumstances surrounding the arrest.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been Charged with DWI?
If you’ve been charged with a DWI in Houston, it’s essential to take immediate action to protect your legal rights and preserve your options. Here are the steps you should take after a DWI charge:
- Hire an experienced Houston DWI attorney: The first and most crucial step is to hire an experienced DWI attorney in Houston. An attorney can guide you through the legal process, provide you with a comprehensive understanding of your rights, and work to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
- Attend all scheduled court appearances: It’s essential to attend all scheduled court appearances, including arraignment, pre-trial conferences, and trials. Failure to appear can result in additional charges and worsen your legal situation.
- Comply with all court orders: If you’re released on bail or bond, it’s essential to comply with all court orders, including attending court hearings and avoiding any additional criminal charges.
- Be cautious about discussing your case: It’s essential to be cautious about discussing your case with anyone except your attorney. Anything you say to others, including friends and family, can potentially be used against you in court.
- Avoid further legal issues: It’s crucial to avoid any additional legal issues while your DWI case is pending. This includes avoiding alcohol and drugs, complying with all traffic laws, and avoiding situations that could lead to additional criminal charges.
If you’re facing a DWI charge in Houston, the most important step is to hire an experienced Houston DWI attorney who can provide you with guidance and support throughout the legal process. With the right legal representation, you can work to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Why Do I Need a Houston Uber / Lyft Rideshare Accident Attorney?
When it comes to the practice area of criminal defense, particularly in the field of DWI defense, there are several qualities that make a good lawyer. Here are some of the most important factors to consider:
A good DWI defense lawyer should have a significant amount of experience handling DWI cases in the Houston area. They should be familiar with local judges, prosecutors, and other legal professionals and have a proven track record of success in DWI defense.
Knowledge of DWI laws and procedures
A good DWI defense lawyer should have a thorough understanding of Texas DWI laws and procedures, as well as the scientific and technical aspects of DWI testing and evidence collection. They should be able to use this knowledge to develop effective defense strategies and challenge the evidence against their clients.
A good DWI defense lawyer should be an excellent communicator, able to explain complex legal concepts and procedures to their clients in a way that is clear and easy to understand. They should also be able to effectively negotiate with prosecutors and present a strong defense in court.
At Leeds Law Firm, our Houston DWI attorney possesses all of these qualities and more. With years of experience handling DWI cases in the Houston area, our attorney has a deep understanding of Texas DWI laws and procedures. They are skilled at developing effective defense strategies, negotiating with prosecutors, and presenting a strong case in court.
If you’ve been charged with a DWI in Houston, don’t wait – contact Leeds Law Firm today to schedule a consultation with our experienced Houston DWI attorney. We’ll work tirelessly to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Call our Houston DWI Attorney Now!
If you’ve been charged with a DWI in Houston, it’s natural to feel overwhelmed and uncertain about what the future holds. The prospect of fines, jail time, and the loss of your driver’s license can be daunting, not to mention the potential impact on your reputation and career.
But don’t despair – at Leeds Law Firm, we’re here to help. Our skilled and experienced Houston DWI attorney knows how to navigate the complexities of Texas DWI law, and we’re dedicated to developing creative and effective defense strategies tailored to your unique situation.
We understand that dealing with a DWI charge can be stressful and confusing, which is why we take the time to explain your options and guide you through the legal process. We’ll work tirelessly to protect your rights and help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
So if you’re facing a DWI charge in Houston, don’t wait – contact Leeds Law Firm today to schedule a consultation with our experienced Houston DWI attorney. Let us be your trusted partner in this difficult time, and we’ll help you navigate this challenge with confidence and peace of mind.
We also offer Houston the following services: