Walking is a part of everyday life. In a city as large as Houston, residents often find themselves on foot in their neighborhoods and inside the city. With busy roads, rapid growth in Texas cities, and constant construction, it is no wonder Houston accidents involving pedestrians are so rampant. Our Houston pedestrian accident lawyer from Leeds Law Firm can help you find justice.
A driver’s negligence causes severe injuries to a pedestrian. Our pedestrian accident attorneys can make sure the driver responsible for your injuries is held legally liable for the resulting damages, including medical costs. Our legal team at Leeds Law Firm represents any pedestrian accident victim and sees firsthand the devastating injuries and losses they suffer.
If you or a loved one have injuries because a driver hit you, reach out to our Houston pedestrian accident lawyer today to discuss your options for fair compensation. We will fight for your rights and provide the legal representation you need to get the most favorable outcome. Contact us now!
Why Do I Need a Houston Pedestrian Accidents Lawyer?
If you are an accident victim involved in a pedestrian crash, the complexity of the evidence needed for these kinds of cases—and what’s at stake financially—make it crucial to have the skilled Houston pedestrian accident lawyer on your side.
A personal injury attorney in Houston, TX, helps those with pedestrian accident injuries recover as much as possible from their accident. Since serious accidents are often life-changing and require extensive care, hiring a Houston pedestrian accident lawyer can help you receive the fair compensation that you deserve.
Our law office at Leeds Law Firm is well-versed when it comes to personal injury law and offers a wide range of services involving Employment Law, Criminal Defense, and Family Law. We assure our clients:
- We will fight for your rights
- We will give personal attention to detail that each case requires
- We will provide the best legal representation to obtain the best outcome
If you are in the Houston area and need a skilled, tough personal injury attorney, please contact us at Leeds Law Firm so that we can begin working on your case today.
What are the Pedestrian & Driver Responsibilities?
There is a significant risk of severe injury or even death for pedestrians hit by cars or trucks. Most of the time, pedestrians have the right of way. However, it is crucial to keep in mind that both the driver and the pedestrian have a duty to exercise caution around one another.
Pedestrian responsibilities include:
- Walking in crosswalks
- Crossing the street only with the walk signal
- Refraining from darting into the street and obstructing the flow of vehicles
Driver responsibilities include:
- Follow speed limits
- Using turn signals
- Being aware of the state of the roads
- Giving way to pedestrians at intersections
Pedestrians and drivers have their own responsibilities to keep in mind to avoid accidents. If you or a loved one was injured after being hit by a car while walking as a pedestrian, contact the experienced Houston pedestrian accident attorneys at Leeds Law Firm. Reach out to our law office today.
What are the Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Lots of factors can cause or contribute to a pedestrian collision, including:
- Intoxicated driving
- Distractive driving
- Speeding or driving too fast for weather or road conditions.
- Failing to give pedestrians at crosswalks the right of way.
- Failing to see a pedestrian when backing up or turning at an intersection.
- Breaking the law or traffic lights (e.g., running a red light or stop sign).
If you are a pedestrian accident victim as a result of the negligence and causes mentioned above. It is best to seek legal advice from a Houston pedestrian accident lawyer.
What are the Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Houston?
The most common Houston pedestrian accident injuries can include:
- Broken bones
- Joint injury
- Ligament and muscle damage
- Organ damage
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Spinal cord injury
- Emotional trauma
- Internal injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Wrongful Death
Pedestrian accidents can have a life-changing effect on an individual’s life. Even if you are fortunate enough to recover from the pedestrian fatality, the damage can quickly shift from a present situation to a future recurring nightmare. These injuries require costly medical care and extended time away from work, which can devastate anyone’s financial stability. Seek advice from our Houston pedestrian accident lawyer to know how to deal with your case.
What Type of Compensation Can Houston Pedestrian Accident Victims Recover?
Texas allows injured pedestrians to receive compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. Damages are given in an effort to “make whole” the victim or return them to the situation they were in prior to the accident.
Economic damages are easily quantified and assigned values. Non-economic damages might be just as valuable but are more difficult to quantify.
What are Economic Damages?
Economic damages are meant to make up for the actual money that a pedestrian accident victim lost as a result of their injuries. They can be attributed to
- Lost wages
- Medical bills
- Prescription medication
Damages of this type can be demonstrated by payroll and tax documents as well as medical records.
What are Non-Economic Damages?
Non-economic damages are more difficult to quantify. Non-economic damages fall under a few categories, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
None of these damages are automatically granted to injured pedestrians. Each type of damage must be proven, and the value of each type of damage must be established. If you need to discuss which type of damage you achieve and the compensation you can receive, talk to our Houston pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible.
What are Punitive Damages?
Punitive damages may be available in some exceptional cases. Punitive damages, in contrast to regular damages, are aimed at punishing the person who hurt the victim rather than making them whole. Punitive damages may be granted in situations involving egregious carelessness.
How Long Do I Have To File A Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit in Texas?
In Texas, a person who has been hurt in an accident has two (2) years from the date of the injury to initiate a personal injury case. A pedestrian who sustains injuries after passing this two-year statute of limitations may never again be entitled to compensation.
What to Do Immediately After the Pedestrian-Car Accident?
It’s natural to feel upset after any kind of accident. Take a deep breath and focus on the following:
- Your top priority is safety. Get any injured people to a safe location right away. Unless there is a clear emergency scenario and you have the necessary skills, avoid attempting to offer medical treatment.
- Get medical assistance. Next, call local law police and medical professionals. Give any first responders honest accounts of how the event occurred.
- Exchange contact information, but not much more. Information should be exchanged with all accident participants. Exchange names, phones, emails, and insurance information if the pedestrian is not injured. Refrain from engaging in a lengthy conversation with the pedestrian or others. Be careful what you say because admitting culpability or saying words like “I feel so guilty” could have an impact on future claims or lawsuits.
- Gather evidence about the accident. Take pictures of everything that can help explain the circumstances around the collision, such as traffic signal equipment, crosswalks, and car damage. Identify and get in touch with any witnesses who may have observed what happened.
- Hold onto any documents relevant to the accident. That includes any police report that’s generated in connection with the crash and any vehicle damage estimates or repair bills.
If you are facing a possible personal injury lawsuit and are still determining your next move. It is advisable to contact our Houston pedestrian accident lawyer immediately.
Contact our Houston TX pedestrian accidents lawyer Now!
If you’ve been injured as a pedestrian in a car-versus-pedestrian incident, and the driver of the vehicle that hit you (or their insurer) is accepting anything less than full legal liability for what happened, it may be time to discuss your situation with an experienced Houston TX pedestrian accidents lawyer.
If you have experienced a pedestrian accident, your injuries may require a significant recovery period while you undergo surgeries, hospitalization, physical therapy, or other rehabilitation. Our Houston personal injury lawyer at Leeds Law Firm is here to assist you in fighting for your rights and receiving the best possible recovery and compensation.
We serve clients throughout Texas, including, but not limited to, those in the following localities: Harris County, including Atascocita, Baytown, Bellaire, Cypress, Deer Park, Houston, Humble, Kingwood, La Porte, Pasadena, and Spring; Fort Bend County including Katy, Missouri City, Stafford, and Sugar Land; Galveston County including Galveston, League City, and Texas City; and Montgomery County including Conroe and The Woodlands.
Let’s discuss your pedestrian accident case. Reach out to our office today!