Seek Justice for Your Employment Concerns in Houston, TX
If you have legal concerns about your employment in Texas, you need to speak with an experienced Houston employment lawyer. With the right legal representation, you will find out that there are many laws available to you to ensure you assert and protect all of your workplace and employment legal rights.
At Leeds Law Firm, we have experienced Houston attorneys who have successfully represented clients who were demoted, terminated wrongfully, or suffered retaliation from their boss or former employer.
Can I take legal action against my employer?
There are various state and federal laws that have been created to allow people to take legal action against employers or former employers who have wrongfully terminated, demoted, or refused to promote them because of membership in a protected class. Our Houston employment law attorney can help you determine whether you have a case against your employer.
What are the protected classes when it comes to employment law?
- Disability (or association with a close family member with a disability)
- Gender (including pregnancy discrimination and sexual orientation)
- Age (over 40 years old)
Are there laws protecting employees from violations of wage requirements?
In addition to laws prohibiting discrimination, retaliation, and harassment of employees, there are also laws to protect employees from violations of wage requirements, such as overtime compensation and minimum wage.
To work and not receive all the pay earned or owed to you under the law is unacceptable. If you are a victim of such illegal behavior, talking to a Houston employment law attorney will be the key to getting the past wages you earned but never received. If you can prove that your employer willfully violated wage and hour laws, your attonrey may be able to claim for additional damages.
Why is it important to hire a Houston employment law attorney?
In an ideal world, employers and employees coexist and work in perfect harmony. But we don’t live in a perfect world, and there are those who seek to exploit or step on other people’s rights. At Leeds Law Firm, we commit ourselves to protect the rights of our neighbors. We practice employment law to ensure that the best interests of clients are upheld.
- Comprehensive Knowledge of the Law: Employment law is complex and constantly evolving, making it difficult for the average person to navigate on their own. An attorney who practices employment law has a thorough understanding of the legal system and can provide guidance and representation to help ensure compliance with the law.
- Experience Handling Employment Law Cases: An attorney who has experience handling employment law cases has the necessary skills to represent and protect the interests of their clients. They have a proven track record of success and can help to resolve disputes and protect against legal consequences.
- Strong Representation and Protection of Your Interests: Employment law issues can have significant consequences, including financial hardship, emotional distress, and damage to reputation. An attorney can provide strong representation and protection of your interests, ensuring that your rights and needs are protected throughout the legal process.
What do I need to know about Texas employment laws?
Employment law in Houston provides various legal protections for employees, including the right to a safe and healthy work environment, fair wages, and protection against discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. These legal protections ensure that employees are treated fairly and with respect in the workplace.
Employers in Houston, Texas have various responsibilities under employment law, including compliance with all applicable laws, providing a safe and healthy workplace, and ensuring equal employment opportunities. Failing to fulfill these responsibilities can result in legal consequences and damage to the reputation of the company.
What are the common violations in Texas employment law?
- Wage and Hour Disputes: Employees may experience issues related to minimum wage, overtime pay, and other compensation-related matters. Employers may also face challenges related to compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other wage and hour laws.
- Discrimination and Harassment: Discrimination and harassment based on certain characteristics is illegal and can result in emotional distress and financial hardship for employees. Employers may also face legal consequences and damage to their reputations. The following are common causes for discrimination legal action:
- Workplace Safety and Health Violations: Employers have a responsibility to provide a safe and healthy work environment. Employees who experience workplace safety and health violations may be entitled to compensation and other legal remedies.
- Wrongful Termination: Employees who are terminated unjustly may be entitled to unemployment benefits, compensation, and other legal remedies. Employers may also face legal consequences for wrongful termination.
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA): This federal law entitles you to take some time off work to care for a loved one with a serious medical condition. Employers not allowed to interfere with your FMLA rights nor are they allowed to retaliate against you for exercising them.
- Overtime: Are you working more than the required hours per week? Are you not being properly compensated? We can help you recover the unpaid wages you are owed!
- Severance Agreement: If you’ve received a severance agreement, you may be unsure whether it’s a fair deal for you. Feel free to ask our experienced Houston employment lawyers about any questions regarding severance.
- Workers’ Compensation Retaliation: Is your boss harassing you after you’ve exercised your right to workers’ comp? Don’t take that lying down. Seek legal help from our skilled Houston workers comp and employment law attorneys!
We Are Strong Advocates Who Will Protect Your Rights
At Leeds Law Firm, we advocate for our clients with employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims as well as overtime and minimum wage violations, and peel back the layers of lies that your employer may be used to cover up actual illegal behaviors.
The process to make sure your rights are protected can be complex: from the timely filing of a Charge of Discrimination with the appropriate federal or state agency to the litigation of your case in state or federal court. There are various different approaches that you can take in asserting your rights when facing an employment law issue. However, in order to do so, it is best to have legal representation so that an experienced employment attorney can explain your options, explain the applicable laws, come up with a game plan, and execute the course of action that is best for you and will get you the most favorable result possible.
If you are in the Houston area and need a skilled, tough employment attorney, please contact us at Leeds Law Firm so that we can begin working on your case today. We offer personalized and direct communication with an attorney which is so important in these cases as they are extremely fact sensitive and can involve years of work history. Keep in mind, employment cases have very important deadlines or statutes of limitations.
Call Our Houston Employment Law Attorney Now!
Employment law is an important and complex area of law that affects employees and employers in Houston. Legal protections and responsibilities under employment law ensure that employees are treated fairly and with respect in the workplace, and employers are in compliance with the law. The issues concerning employment law can cause significant stress and financial hardship for employees and employers, making it important to seek legal advice and representation.
If you are facing an employment law issue in Houston, do not hesitate to contact Leeds Law Firm. Our experienced attorneys are dedicated to providing the highest quality legal services and protecting the rights and interests of our clients.